deck progress 5

On Saturday I noted a couple of flaws int the deck.  This is the debugging phase.
Flaw the first, the joist that was holding up the roof was cracked and bowing.
Apparently my little pergola excursion on Friday was even more dangerous than I thought. The other problem was that the swaying and flexing was a little more than I was comfortable with. But I didn't really seem to have the will power to do the right thing. Luckily, James arrived
and provided the will power for me. We fully replaced the broken joist, a tricky operation, and added all sorts of triangle bracing*, and joist hangers (!), and hurricane ties and such.
So then on Sunday all that was left was to make the steps, and clean it up.

tada! I like it. It's not perfect, but it was never meant to be. And it all got done in about 5 days. So that's crazy. Next: grape vines, or outdoor lighting, or a stone path? We shall see.

*gussets? Man idunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment