nothin like livin

It's nice to have a day off.  I took care of a lot of the little things that were nagging me.  Bills, laundry, shave, haircut, yard work, that sort of thing.  Nice to have a little bit of time to reflect.  I went and saw my brother Isaac at his new place.  It's tiny, but it ain't in Newbury Park.

I have so many plans and ideas that don't even have time to stew properly, and I'm not about to go into them right now, except to say that I hope I'll get to consider some of them a little more seriously in the next few months, and maybe even execute one or two.  There's nothing like living.

What I mean is... sometimes we get so busy we forget our dreams.  And sometimes our dreams get so busy they forget our lives.  I think a big part of my growing up has been the convergance of the two... my dreams get more realistic and my life simultaneously gets closer to what I want it to be.  I used to feel sad about changing my dreams, but let's face it: when I was young I didn't know how to live, so clearly my dreams were going to be a little bit off.  Improving our dreams perhaps, is just as important as striving towards them.

Maybe I'll have more time to think now.

1 comment:

  1. "I think a big part of my growing up has been the convergance of the two... my dreams get more realistic and my life simultaneously gets closer to what I want it to be."

    "Improving our dreams perhaps, is just as important as striving towards them."

    +1 to that. Seriously, as I "get older" I find simultaneously that I have more specific dreams (projects, hobbies, narrow goals, e.g. hike Mt. Whitney---challenging but totally possible) that are more plausible and "better" (usually more challenging and more enriching, like photography and hiking), but yet I keep getting more responsibilities (say, doing the dishes, exercising) to keep me from spending time on those projects, hobbies, goals, etc.

    I guess the good news is that, as you say, you refine your goals and focus on the more worthwhile and unique opportunities as you watch your life start to pass you by... I think the trick is to just do it, sometimes. Just pick something crazy and specific and do that one thing, on the spur of the moment. Get it done, finish it, get your confidence booster, and go back to dreaming about the bigger, grander goals.

    ReplyDelete